Students covered under the Penn Student Insurance Plan should first seek treatment at SHS for each medical condition if within 25 miles of the University. The Student Health Service Providers will refer you, if appropriate, to an outside provider in advance of your appointment. A new referral for each condition is required at the beginning of each Policy Year.
Any care received within 25 miles of the University without a prior SHS referral will be payable subject to the Non-Preferred Benefit, including the $1,500 Deductible.
A referral is not required in the following circumstances:
- Emergency Room Services (all follow-up treatment must be obtained through SHS)
- The student is more than 25 miles away from the University Health Services
- Inpatient and Outpatient Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Women’s Health Services
- Voluntary Termination of Pregnancy
- Annual Eye Examination
- Injury to Sound Natural Teeth, or Removal of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
- Pediatric Care
- Routine Care
The referral requirement does not apply to covered dependents or when SHS is closed.